Delete Telegram Account: In addition to its cross-platform instant messaging features, Telegram offers end-to-end encrypted VoIP calls, secret chats, and file sharing. These features, which were supposed to make the platform more usable, have been abused in the past.
We’ve created a guide to help you delete your Telegram account if you’re also thinking of doing so for security reasons or any other reason.
Best Way to Delete Your Telegram Account Automatically
Those who have used Telegram for a while know that Telegram’s mobile app allows you to automatically delete your account.
Despite the fact that deleting your Telegram account with this method may not delete your account instantly, it still works well for those who want their account to automatically be deleted after inactivity, or when they go on vacation.
If you prefer to follow the instructions below on your mobile device instead of deleting your Telegram account quickly, follow the instructions below.
Android users can delete their Telegram accounts using the following methods:
- On your Android, log into your Telegram account.
- Select Settings from the hamburger menu in the top-left corner.
- Choose Privacy & Security.
- You can select the time period after which your Telegram account will be deleted if you are away for a certain period of time under Delete my account.
How to remove Telegram from an iOS device:
- On your iPhone, launch the Telegram app.
- Select Privacy and Security from the Settings tab.
- Under AUTOMATICALLY DELETE MY ACCOUNT, click the If Away For option.
- To delete your Telegram account after an inactivity period, choose a time.
You can choose between 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months for the inactivity period (iOS)/account self-destructing period (Android). Select a longer period of time, such as a month, as your inactivity time if you want to delete your account as soon as possible.
Permanently deleting your Telegram account
Telegram will delete your account after an inactivity period, but it won’t delete it immediately. You can also prevent your account from being deleted if you log back in before the inactivity period expires.
You can instead remove your Telegram account by using Telegram’s Authorization website. In addition to managing apps using the Telegram API, you can also delete your Telegram account via the Authorization website.
To permanently delete your Telegram account, follow these steps:
- Open a browser and go to Telegram’s Authorization website.
- In the phone number field, enter your phone number in the international format (i.e. including the country code), linked to the Telegram account that you want to delete.
- Click Next. You will now receive a confirmation code in your Telegram app.
- On your Android or iPhone, tap the Telegram conversation and open.
- A verification code will appear there. Copy this code.
- Then, go back to Telegram’s website and paste the confirmation code you copied.
- Click Sign In when you are ready.
- Under Your Telegram Core, click on the Delete account option.
- If you decide to delete your account, Telegram will ask if you’re sure. In the Why are you leaving? box, you can indicate a reason for account deletion.
- Click Delete My Account.
- You will be prompted for confirmation again through a pop-up window. Tap Yes, delete my account to proceed.
As soon as you do so, your Telegram account will be deleted. You will no longer be able to access your conversations/personal chats on the app after you log in again.
Deleting all the data from your Telegram account successfully
If you follow either of the two methods above, you should be able to delete your Telegram account successfully.
It may be best for you to set an inactivity period for your Telegram account if you are planning on not using it anymore and don’t mind it deleting itself within a few days. In this case, you can log in to stop the deletion if you change your mind midway. To delete your Telegram account immediately, however, you will need to do so yourself via the Authorization website.
Regardless of how you delete your Telegram account, Telegram says it will delete all data and chat logs associated with your account. It will also delete your channels and conversations. Likewise, if you’re a group admin, Telegram will automatically elect a random member to take your place as the new admin going forward.
Additionally, you won’t be able to sign up for a new Telegram account using the same phone number for at least two months after deletion.